Friday, October 25, 2013

Apple Cider Chicken Thighs

I made this wonderful recipe tonight, and thought I would share it with my family/friends who keep up with my blog. I think next time, I will double the recipe so that we can have some for leftovers the next day. The recipe came from the book "Make Ahead Paleo: healthy gluten-, grain-, & dairy-free recipes ready when & where you are"  Tammy Credicott and Sarah Fragoso (http://www.amazon.com/Make-Ahead-Paleo-Healthy-Gluten-Dairy-Free/dp/1936608375/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1382743110&sr=1-1)

Ingredients

Chicken ingredients
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, boneless or bone-in (I used boneless)
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 shallot minced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallot) (kind of like an onion; made me tear up)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Golden Delicious or Jonagold apple, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces (I used Jonagold)
- 1 bay leaf

Sauce ingredients
- 1 cup apple cider ( I found an organic one which ingredients are solely organic apples)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4- 1 tsp dried) (I used 1/4 tsp dried)

Serves 4

Directions

1. Place the chicken in a slow cooker, and season it with sea salt and pepper

2. Sprinkle the shallot, garlic, sliced apple, and bay leaf over the chicken

3. In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce over the chicken

4. Cook the chicken on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-6 hours

5. Spoon the sauce over the chicken to serve. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, ladle some into a small pan and simmer it over medium heat until reduced by half, and then serve over the chicken. Doing so thickens the sauce nicely and concentrates the flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment